MetaMask is the most popular browser extensions that provide storage for Ethereum and other ERC-20 Tokens. In order to use the blockchain, you need to install a mobile distributed application (dApp) in the browser. To be more specific, it allows you to run Ethereum Dapps (Decentralized Apps) within your browser without running a full Ethereum node.
Follow the first set of instructions to install Metamask on the Chrome browser, and then read on to start unlocking the power of the blockchain!
How to install MetaMask?
To get started with MetaMask, Chrome must be installed on your computer. There are different markets to find it depending on your browser. Most browsers have MetaMask in their stores, so it’s not that difficult to find them.
In this tutorial, i’ll be using Google Chrome as an example and same steps apply for the various browsers as well. If, for a few reason, the links on top of don’t work for you, simply search ‘MetaMask’ Extension on your favorite search engine, and you’ll be able to notice it there.
- Go to the Metamask website.
- Click “Get Chrome Extension” to install Metamask.
- Click “Add to Chrome” in the upper right.
- Click “Add Extension” to complete the installation.
Once Metamask has been installed in your browser you can see the fox logo on the upper right hand.
How to Use MetaMask?
- Click on the Metamask logo in the upper right hand corner of your Google chrome browser.
- Read and agree to the terms and conditions. You may have to agree to 2 to 3 pages worth of terms.
- Enter a password and click “Create” to create your wallet.
- You will see a set of 12 “seed words” for your vault. Click “Save Seed Words as File” and copy the “MetaMask Seed Words” file that is downloaded to a safe place. You will need it to access your vault.
- Click “I’ve Copied It Somewhere Safe” once your seed words file has been secured. You’ll be taken into your Metamask wallet!
You are currently within the Ethereum mainnet network. To begin experimenting with Metamask, you’ll switch to at least one of the testnet networks by clicking “Main Network” in the left corner of the wallet appear screen, and choosing one amongst the testnets similar to Ropsten check Network or Kovan check Network.
From these Test Networks, you can safely “Buy” and “Send” test Ether from a faucet and begin experimenting with the blockchain. Click around within the test network and start understanding how the Ethereum blockchain works!
Metamask is your bridge to the decentralized web and it is important that you understand how to carefully prepare for it. Hopefully this article has helped some of you find the answers you need and if you have any questions about the process feel free to leave a comment below.